A DC Rock Creek Division Kickball team. Games on Wednesdays at Marie Reed in Adams Morgan. Team members can sign in here after sending their email address to Claudia and then creating your login and password.

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Happy b-day sam-o!

A big happy one to Sambo. Sorry I won't be in town on Thurs, but I'll definitely be around on Friday for the debate. Jorge? Your Place? More people and a lot more drinking this time? At least, I'm pretty sure there's a debate on Friday.
Full Metal Jacket is on some channel in my hotel room. I'm assuming it's the HBO (pronounced "Hu-Bow", I belive) as I haven't seen a commercial in a bit.
I was super impressed (as usual) with Edwards in the debates tonight. Man does that guy have a head on his shoulders! Cheney stuck to rhetoric. Edwards talked about/defended himself. Cheney barely mentioned anything that he and Bushie had "accomplished". It seemed as though Cheney's points all focused around the "poor voting record" of Kerry, which I would just call good. Cheney has a tough time coming off as not evil. I noticed that when he brought up Edwards' votes, Edwards did not defend them.. Then again, I noticed that when Edwards' criticized Cheney, Cheney did not defend either. They're pretty much even on that one. Granted, Cheney's lies have directly aided in killing 1000+ Americans. Granted, Cheney mainly mentioned votes that Edwards had missed, whereas Edwards mentioned votes that Cheney cast against things like education and defense. I'm all for not funding defense, as I just think that they are budgeting the wrong things, but Edwards definitely has a point.
I especially liked when Cheney mentioned the $87 billion and Edwards was able to counter with the fact that it was a blank check and that Cheney had voted against some of the exact same defense programs when he was votin' about things.
Also when Edwards called the Bush admin out on being for and against the 9/11 comission, for and against homeland security, etc.
I thought the most telling part was when there was a question about the AIDS epidemic in the US and, after being all PC and referring to it as a "pandemic" and talking about broader issues, Cheney actually brought up the economic impact of AIDS on the US. Everyone knows that if people are dying there's going to be an economic impact, but how disgustingly tactless is it to actually talk about it that way. That's rhetorical. If someone asks you about the AIDS epidemic in the US and mentions that it's statistcally more pervasive amongst African Americans, you probably shouldn't only answer with some heart-string pulling crap about Russia and Africa and then say that AIDS is a drain on the economy. If you ever wondered whether Republicans seem to care about people or money, this should be a good hint. I'll try to find some links to Cheney's actual statement when I have some more time tomorrow evening.
Rock out y'all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home